Friday, April 20, 2012

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you! Mommy's mowing."

Today Mr. Fixit granted me the sacred privileged of mowing the lawn. His lawn. It isn't really that he has never allowed it before; I just never had an interest. We had a deal, I did the inside stuff and gardens and he did the outside stuff and building projects. There was an incident in my youth that vividly sticks out in my mind as the last time I mowed. I was 12 years old mowing the lawn on my dad's rider and somehow, with my stellar tween driving skills; I lost control and backed into a pine tree. This hurt my pride more than anything, but I've never mowed again. Traumas like this, whilst trying to gain independence and act grown up, are not easy to overcome.

Today was the day. I wisely thought that I would mow while Mr. Fixit could make better use of his time doing things that I couldn't, such as lift heavy objects and do things with motor oil. You know, manly stuff. As I was mowing it occurred to me how AMAZING it is. It's exercise. I'm walking around breaking a little sweat and getting stuff done. Awesome! Then the most wonderful thing happened, Blue came up and tried to ask me a question and I yelled I couldn't hear him, so he ran off to play. Shortly after, Pink did the same thing. I then realized that this.... this simple act of exercising and beautifying our outdoor living space was a glorious vacation from whining, fighting, bickering and incessant talking. The kids could see that I was obviously busy and could not be talked to, unlike using the potty, talking on the phone and nursing Green to sleep. I could see them, but not hear them and really what more can a mom ask for? Needless to say, we are going to have a very well manicured lawn this summer.

No comments: