Thursday, August 30, 2012

Best ever Vegan Mac and No Cheese

This recipe came from my mom who got it from a Native American storyteller named Morningstar. Where she got it I have no idea!!! Now my family LOVES Mac and Cheese and I make  a pretty mean full dairy mac and we have tried NUMEROUS vegan recipes but I have to be honest shhhh I don't like cashew based cream sauces very much.

Gasp* I know. No aspiring vegan should be admit something like that.

So this recipe is AMAZING!!!!

First I gathered the ingredients*!!! Looks simple enough.

 
Start cooking the noodles and preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Blend the rest of the "no cheese" ingredients.


Pour in liquid "no cheese"

 
Put it in the oven


 and 45 minutes later warm, creamy goodness.






Mac & (no) cheese
1# box of pasta- cook as directed
Blend: (while the pasta is cooking)
4 tsp onion powder
4 tsp salt
4 tsp tomato paste
½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
2/3 cup flour
2 Tbsp lemon juice (3 Tbsp if you prefer a cheddar taste)
6 tsp oil
4 cups water
Optional: minced garlic or sautéed onion

Place cooked pasta and above blended ingredients in a large bowl and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

That is WAY too easy and WAY too yummy!!!  Thank you Mommy and Morningstar.

*I recently ran out of tomato paste and since is it late summer I just used fresh tomatoes and cut back on the water.

No comments: